Standards & Expectations
The King Street Brass is always in search of new members. However, there has to be a proper fit before becoming a permanent member of our group. We pride ourselves on a high level of musicianship and wish to maintain that standard. As a result, a 4 rehearsal trial period for the benefit of both the candidate and the band will be in effect. Your status will be confirmed by our musical director at the end of the trial.
In addition to musical abilities there are other factors in play. Our instrumentation and arrangement is unique. Charts are only written in Treble Clef (except for bass trombone) and there are only limited seats per instrument and part.
A brass band in the British tradition with a full complement of 28 players consists of:
- 1 Soprano cornet in E♭
- 9 Cornets in B♭
- 1 Flugel horn in B♭
- 3 Tenor horns in E♭
- 2 Baritone horns in B♭
- 2 Tenor trombones (notated in treble clef)
- 1 Bass trombone (the only brass instrument in the band notated in Concert Pitch (C) on bass clef)
- 2 Euphoniums in B♭ (usually playing the same part with divisi sections)
- 4 Tubas (2 in E♭ and 2 in B♭, both notated in treble clef; often called Basses)
- 2 or 3 percussion players (with 2 or more timpani, glockenspiel, snare drum, triangle, cymbals, a drum kit and more)
(Current openings are highlighted)
If you are in agreement with our terms and would like an opportunity to discuss attending a rehearsal, please provide your information: